Alarm went off at 4:15. We just washed and dressed, no shower or shave today. Got to lobby early. Left here at 5:00 and headed up toward Glenorchy. We stopped at Bennett’s Bluff for shots of Lake Wakatipu in a gathering storm. Lots of clouds churning. Quite dramatic. Quite wet at times. I used all three of my cameras opting not to get my big one soaked. Others had plastic bags over their cameras. Most have chamois, a good thing for my next trip.

After about a hour there, we continued up to Glenorchy, which is at the head of the lake. Took pix of the lake and mountains until after 7:00 when it started to drizzle/rain. Went to local café where we were the absolute first people there … they were just opening up. Eggs on toast with grilled tomatoes and a total of three long blacks as the morning progressed.

When we left the café, we saw a rainbow on the side of the mountains across the lake. That rainbow stayed in its same position for over a half an hour…so we got lots of pix of it. Never, ever seen anything like this. Not in the sky. Against the mountain. Wowzer! 

In the same area are lots and lots of lupines. While they are colorful, they end up being a pest plant that needs to be eradicated. Spreads fast and takes over edges of streams displacing bird nesting areas and driving the birds away. But they are pretty.

We stayed in Glenorchy for quite a while since where they wanted to take us next (farther up into the mountains) had heavy rain. So, we went back to Queenstown. I did laundry in the hotel guest laundry. I also talked to Hertz since we’re not going to be back here Friday evening soon enough for me to get our rental car. Will get it Saturday morning at 9:00 when they open.

Dave M and I walked downhill into the center of the city. We went out onto the pier by the lake to a restaurant where I think Jeff and I ate – Pier 19. Right by where the old steamer docks. Saw outside and I hade a whopping big portion of green lip mussels. While I haven’t seen any rack of lamb, there have been the mussels and I have had them three times now. Yum!

Did some light shopping. Got some food to eat on the van tomorrow morning on our way down to Doubtful Sound … no time to stop for breakfast. Going out tonight for early dinner. Dave and I went back to our rooms and worked on pix until time for dinner.

Need to be ready to go  tomorrow morning at 6:45 with our luggage checked here. We’re only taking a change of clothes and camera equipment to the boat.

Pat, Cathy, and I went to a nice restaurant where I had rack of lamb. Well, green lip mussels and rack of lamb in one day plus a rainbow. Yowie!


Share this post